It’s 29 days before your exciting cruise and chances are your Travel Agent and your Cruise Line have been begging you to do your online cruise check in. They are not just being pushy, but they are helping you to make sure that all your documents reflect the proper spelling of your name, birth dates, cabin assignments and so much more! Not to mention, giving you a real opportunity to see what the cruise line offers for you while onboard.
For day 29, we are going to focus solely on your documentation and reservations for your cruise, air and hotel. Your Travel Agent will have sent you a link to go to the cruise line website and do your Pre-Cruise Check In. Have your passport handy and a credit card that you would like to charge onboard expenses to. Then follow the steps that they take you through till they let you print out your boarding pass and print your luggage tags.
We have created a list of what we want you to check when you do your documents. Why? You and your Travel agent are not perfect. We have seen many examples of people that get aboard, go to their cabin and something is not what they expected. Or, they get to the dock and something is wrong with their documents. With 29 days to sailing there is plenty of time to fix any of the below that is not correct.
Cruise Ship Check In
- Make sure the spelling of your name is EXACTLY as it appears on your Passport or ID you are using to board. If not, call your Travel Agent to make any necessary changes.
- Check that the Birthdate that shows for you is correct.
- Check that the Cabin Category is what you think you paid for. (Meaning, Inside cabin, Ocean View, Balcony, etc.)
- Check the cabin number and make sure it is the same as what is on your previous confirmations. AND check the location on the ship! You don’t want any surprises.
EXAMPLE – The Good Surprise. The ship has upgraded you and you and your Travel agent didn’t know. You booked a balcony and now you are in a suite! It can happen!
EXAMPLE – The Bad Surprise- You thought you booked a balcony and you find that you are in an ocean view cabin. Yikes!
- Check your assigned Dining Times. Did you get what you requested? Early Seating? Late Seating? Open Seating? And is all of your party confirmed in the same seating?
- SAIL DATE. Ok, we are not joking when we say that this is often the biggest mistake someone makes. Make sure that your sail date and SHIP reflects what you think you booked. Often when people travel prior to a cruise they get mixed up on the boarding date. DON’T MISS THE SHIP!
EXAMPLE – We had a large group going to Europe last year. There was a gentleman that booked a full year before the cruise. Two weeks before the sailing we get a frantic call from him that he can’t come. He screwed up. It happens. We are busy people. With 29 days before you can fix just about anything!
- If you booked a pre or post hotel stay is it correct? Does it show on your Cruise Line Documents?
- Did you get Transfers from the airport to Hotel, Hotel to ship, Ship to Airport? This is really one to look at. Some people assume they are all included. They are not. Be properly informed as to what ground transport is included. If you are confused call your Travel Agent. They will help you understand what you need to add to make the trip as smooth as possible from beginning to end.
- Once you are done, the Cruise Line website will let you print out your Boarding Passes. (They are called different things for each cruise line) Print them and PRINT YOUR LUGGAGE TAGS. Some higher priced cruise lines will send you your luggage tags. But nowadays, most will ask you to print them out yourself.
- Now keep them all with your passport and you are set!
Check Your Air and Hotel Reservations
- Check your air tickets. Is everything correct? Departure times? Arrival Times? ARRIVAL AIRPORT? Proper spelling on names? Seating Assignments?
- Call your hotel and check your reservation. This sounds overboard but it isn’t. Even if your amazing Travel Agent booked you properly, Hotels are known for errors. Check that they have your reservation. And while you are at it, ask them for a free upgrade! Or, tell them if you are celebrating anything. Ask them to put a note in your booking for early check in. Just confirm confirm confirm!
Truly, things happen. Cruise Lines are not perfect, you are not perfect and your Travel Agent is not perfect. So, check everything that can be fixed 29 days before you set sail on your magical adventure!